My sister was recently shopping for books and, coming across My Street Food Kitchen, asked me whether I was interested in purchasing it. Now, obviously asking a major foodie whether they want a cookery book is a bit of a trick question (?) - nonetheless I ended up buying it.
I'm not going to lie, I've bought a ton of cookery books in the past which I've totally regretted buying, purely because they are filled with the old traditionalist recipes and structured in the same boring arrangement. Personally, I love reading books where the writer is fully engaged with their reader and is truly passionate about the subject of their writing - rightly so with today's book review.
Let me tell you why My Street Food Kitchen is such a winner:
1. It's authentic ~ down to crystal clear photography and imaginative arrangement, the whole vibe given off by the book is creativity with colours, flavours and textures.
2. It's multi-cultural ~ the book is sectioned into different street food specialities, exploring menus from Japan, to India and even Mexico! It blends traditional true-to-roots recipes with unique ingredients and innovative twists.
3. It's engaging ~ as well as having great recipes inside, you're also treated to a host of the writer's culinary background, all adding to the inspiring and exciting feel of the book. As cliché as it sounds, you're truly 'taken on a journey'.
4. It's easy-to-follow ~ I haven't actually tried any of the recipes yet, but I can already tell following these recipes will not be an onerous task. It's clearly laid out with recipes of varying difficulty - the easier recipes seem just as enticing as the difficult ones!
5. You learn a lot ~ I've only read a few of the recipes from start to finish, and I've already learnt so much about new ingredients and fresh produce. It's pretty rare to find a cookery book nowadays not repeating the well-known classics which, although delicious in their own right, fail to branch out beyond your typical Sunday roast.
I'll definitely be trying out some of the recipes from this book soon!