An important baking staple, I've whipped up my perfect Choc Chip cookie recipe to share with you all today! What's more, this cookie dough can be frozen and used to make fresh, warm cookies whenever you fancy! If you're not a fan of dark choc chips (who isn't?), you can substitute these for white choc chips, glacé cherries or even funfetti sprinkles - have fun with it!
- 120g unsalted butter
- 120g caster sugar
- 60g packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups plain (all purpose) flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Microwave the butter for about 30 seconds to just barely melt it.
2) Using a stand mixer or electric whisk, beat the butter with the sugars until creamy. Add the vanilla and the egg; beat on low speed until just incorporated. Avoid over-beating the egg or the cookies will be stiff.
3) Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and salt, if using. Mix until the mix just starts to come together. Use your hands to press the mix together into a dough. Add the chocolate chips and incorporate with your hands.
4) Roll the dough into 12 large balls and place on a cookie sheet, slightly spread apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes until the cookies have spread slightly and are barely golden. Be careful not to let them overbake, as you will lose the distinct soft cookie texture.